HOW TO OVERCOME IMPOSTER SYNDROME
Let’s talk about imposter syndrome.
DEFINITION: high-achieving individuals who are marked by an inability to internalize their accomplishments and a persistent fear of being exposed as a "fraud".
Typically I have those feelings at work because I’m the youngest, the only black AND woman on the team and my title is project leader for a group of computer engineers. Be clear, I don’t know how to code - I can barely figure out Instagram, I don’t get my coworkers jokes. I’m just favored and confident in interviews. I swiped my badge too fast the other day and the office door didn’t open and I thought I had been found out! NERVOUS! LOL
I'm just favored and confident
So taking it a bit further in regards to this here side passion. For the past 2 weeks I’ve been getting out of my own way and have been completing tasks. You know the ones you make that you KNOW yield results but either it’s hard or takes a lot of time so you put them off… yea those. Well, I finished them and got my returns right away! Like Bam! I got a lot of “Yeses” and “We would like to…” and “Can we…” and “Thank you!”
It was scary! All week I've been feeling like Joanne the scammer and I’ve been swindling myself into blessings and opportunities that I don’t deserve; but yet it’s what I’ve been working for the WHOLE TIME! Honestly. Truly.
After some reflection I came up with this:
- You played a role in this success. Luck is when preparation meets opportunity or some cases I busted in the door, twirled in the room and opportunities were made.
- Focus on the value provided. Taking yourself out the equation and think about what you actually bring to the table. You have something they want/need, so give it to them!
- Stop comparing yourself to others. It’s amazing how much work you get done when you do it how you want, instead of copying someone or constantly looking over your shoulder. Put your blinders up, get to work and trust the process.
- Everyone has doubts. No one is immune to thinking they can’t.
- Fake it till you make it works! I mean, look at the president.
- If not you, who?! I dare you to come up with someone else more deserving and not get mad or say, "How Sway?!"
Let me know, have you ever felt like this? When and where?